We were thirty, weary Americans ill-dressed
for the slate wind that collided with our bare legs, the rain that collected in
the spaces between our toes; thirty Americans in shorts and chacos, shivering
in restless groups of three and four as we waited for the bus that would take
us back to Quito. Thirty Americans, we marveled at how quickly one can grow
accustomed to a good thing, and only hours before had been sticky with ocean
salt and our own sweat, strolling the sandy, unpaved streets of the Galapagos.
We
were thirty Americans going home. Or not “home,” exactly, but to what we thought
of as “home” when we were away. And though thirty, sun-scorched Americans had
all expressed reluctance to leave the islands, to re-enter the inevitable
obligations of the day-to-day, we were also thirty Americans who, looking out
through the bus windows at the familiar mountains that loomed on either side
and the dark clouds that shielded their volcanic peaks, felt oddly relieved to be going
“home” again.
And
so it was with great surprise that—subdued, quiet, and buried in our seats—we
thirty Americans noticed that our bus had stopped abruptly on the edge of a
narrow thoroughfare.
“Okay.
Chicos,” Martha announced from the head of the bus. “The bus-driver is treating
us to ice cream.”
We
looked at each other in bewilderment, startled from our wearied stupors but
failing, still, to register Martha’s words.
“The
bus driver is the owner of this ice cream shop,” Martha explained, “and he
wants to treat you all to ice cream.” Still no one moved. “Vamos, chicos!” She
said decisively, and, obediently, we all began to move, re-fastening our shoes
and zipping our windbreakers and shuffling out of the bus.
Really,
it wasn’t a great day for ice cream—it was cold, it was rainy, we were travel
worn and ready to be home—but regardless, we found ourselves almost giddy with
this unprecedented surprise, this final “hurrah” to a week spent snorkeling,
and peeling salmon-colored shrimp, and coating ourselves in sunblock on the
Islands.
The
bus driver gave us the option of two flavors; I asked him for his favorites.
“Taxo and chocolate,” he said without hesitation. I repeated the same line to
the employee scooping ice cream.
Licking
our cones, we milled in the small parlor and waited for the last stragglers,
asking each other about our flavor selections and ultimately boarding the bus
with our cones only half-eaten. We thanked the bus driver effusively and
wondered what compelled him to such generosity. Not long after, we stepped off
the bus, hauled up our heavy-backpacks, and, thirty weary Americans, trudged
home.
After
the excitement of the Galapagos, the extraordinary privilege of the Galapagos, the simplicity of this moment was
nevertheless indelible. I wonder what compelled
a bus driver to treat us, thirty Americans just returned from a trip to the
Galapagos, to such a generous gesture. Why? Being a bus driver and the dueño of
a small ice cream parlor, I can’t imagine the man was drowning in excess. What
compelled him, then, to treat us to
such excess?
Ultimately,
I cannot think of any feasible reason for his gesture. Unwarranted generosity,
I suppose, is the only explanation. I guess I’ll just have to leave it at that,
then: at the mystery. (And perhaps allow myself marvel, at odd moments when it
inevitably resurfaces, at the memory.)
What a lovely picture of lavish grace, Nina. I am so seldom this lavish and even when I desire to share, I share in "little bits." Oh, the depths of the riches and wisdom of God! And... a kind bus driver!
ReplyDelete