Saturday, January 4. Quito, Ecuador
Perhaps it is
customary to buy your bread the night before. Perhaps Ecuadorian bakeries
respect the Catholic day-of-rest (a some four-hundred year habit?) and remain
closed on Sundays. Perhaps breakfast bread is scarce if not absent from the
kitchen table when it isn't bought beforehand.
Regardless, I was surprised by the line of perhaps twenty
people that brushed the finger-stained glass of the panaderĂa's bakery case in
Quito's north district at dusk on a Saturday night.
While my host
mother and I were being served by the employee behind the chin-level counter, I noticed a couple
sitting at a booth, a mess of shapely coke
bottles, fancy coffees in the hummingbird dishes that old, American diners
serve ice cream in, and crumbly pastries littering their round table. Actually,
it was the child I noticed first, the couple sitting nearby only as a product
of the child's gaze.
Of course, I
couldn't see the child's face, but I could tell from the skin at the nape of
his neck and the slight shadows that licked his small jawline that he was dark.
Dark like the rain-stained bark of a Michigan pine after an August storm. Dark
hair, too, which covered his head like a child playing at pirates or buccaneers,
slinging his mother's mixing bowls over his head and covering his eyes.
His clothes were
disheveled, loose, dirty even, and he stood alone. His parents weren't the fashionable
couple sitting steps away at the table, nor the few other seated clients in the
bakery. In fact, his parents weren't clients at all.
My gaze suddenly
sought the two indigenous women standing at the shop's entrance, hawking
strawberries and cherries to the unwilling and entirely unreceptive Ecuadorian
middle class. These people obviously didn't buy their fruit from street
venders; the women's strawberry mountains resembled the western Pichincha, the
volcano that towers over the city like Sapo Inca, their mountains undiminished
despite the Saturday traffic.
The child,
apparently, accompanied his mother. Perhaps he entered the bakery out of
restless, three-year-old energy, out of curiosity. Maybe he was accustomed to
the compassion of dining guests.
Either way, the
woman sitting at the table steps away noticed his gaze. She lifted her hand in
the upside-down beckon of the Latino cultures—al reves—and handed the child the
remains of a sticky-bun. The child was cautious to approach the stranger,
cautious to take the pilled napkin-wrapped pastry, cautious to nibble the
treat. Even at three, the child sensed the rigid class divisions that separate
Quito's privileged from its largely indigenous poor.
I turned away
then. I turned back to the counter, where my host mom was paying for some
fourteen rolls. I turned away from the women, who was smiling, and the child,
who was hungry, or restless, or merely bored. I turned away, and was glad the
women didn't need to verify some abject justification—glad boredom was, for a
moment, undistinguished from poverty, as good a reason as any to give a child
bread.
Awww nina. Nobody has commented yet. I'll change that. I always love your posts.-sami
ReplyDelete